Monday, March 31, 2014

New Obsession: Graceland

Graceland. I’m not talking about the home of Elvis Presley. I’m talking about the TV show on USA network. Now this show premiered in the summer of 2013, but I only recently discovered it. One main reason why I decided to watch it was because of the creator, Jeff Eastin. If you don’t know who Jeff Eastin then you clearly don’t know of White Collar, one of the greatest shows ever. Anyways back to Graceland. This show is a 42 minutes drama that involves crime, action, romance, comedy. It has a little bit of everything. The characters are well developed and the story line is unique, it’s not another cop show.

The show takes place in California in a beachfront house that was seized and turned into a living pad for undercover cops.  The top DEA, FBI, and Custom agents live in this house. Being an undercover agent means lying becomes your life. Mike “Levi” Warren played by the beautifully gorgeous Aaron Tveit is an FBI agent who just graduated at the top of his class. His only focus is to work in D.C. but his first assignment is Graceland. It makes you wonder why, since he was top in his class he should get his pick in locations. You learn at the end of the first episode why he is really assigned Graceland. It doesn’t take long for you to realize that the people that live in this house are a family. A crazy, weird, messed up family that loves each other.

I started watching this show because of Aaron Tveit. I’ve been a fan of his since Gossip Girl and Girl Walks Into A Bar. I watched it for him, but I fell in love with Joe ‘Johnny’ Tuturro who is played by Manny Montana. Johnny is FBI and he is the fun loving easy going character of the house. Its impossible not fall in love with him. Like Olaf said in Frozen some people are worth melting for and Johnny is definitely worth melting for. What I would do to get him to make me fancy shaped pancakes in the morning. You’ll understand that once you watch the show. Paige who is played by Serinda Swan, some of you may recognize her from Breakout Kings, is a smart and ruthless DEA agent. She uses her femininity and party girl ways to implant herself into cartels. She does her job well. Towards the end of the season she becomes one-half of Graceland’s most shipped couple. With who you ask? Watch the show and find out. The rest of the cast, Daniel Sunjata, Vanessa Ferlito, and Brandon Jay McLaren are phenomenal, they play their roles extremely well.

Towards the middle of the season there is an unexpected twist. A twist that will have you feeling all sorts of emotions. The season finale will make you feel even more emotions. I hated the ending at first. It pissed me off how they did that, but then the more I thought about it the more I thought it was pure genius. I loved how they did that. I want to say more, but if I do then I’m going to ruin it for you guys. So there it is my vague opinion on the season.

I love this show. It took me by surprise because I wasn’t expecting much going into it. Season two can’t come fast enough. My only wish is for Johnny to get a bigger role. I forgot to mention this earlier I watched this show, twelve episodes, in one day. Each episode is forty-two minutes long. One episode after another, clearly that says something about the show. Also for all those wondering why the show is called Graceland it is because the house was seized from a drug lord who was an obsessed Elvis fan. The house is the only place these agents can be the themselves because once they step outside they become a lie. The house is their sanctuary, their ‘Graceland.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment