Monday, December 9, 2013

Happiness

In the past year I've learned to not let the little things bother me. There is absolutely no point in getting all worked up over things you can't control. I've learned to let things go and honestly I've never been happier. A couple weeks ago I was on the phone with my cousin during his lunch break at work. He drove over to some fast food place to get lunch and when he got back to work someone parked in the place where his car previously was. Now to me this seems likes not a big deal, just park somewhere else, but that was not the case with my cousin. He started swearing and complaining and using so much energy getting mad over something he had no control over. Is it really a big deal to park somewhere else? So what you have to take 15 more steps to get to the office is it worth getting mad over and ruining your whole day?

Perspective is everything. Everyone grows up differently and they experience different things. The way I stay in focus on what is important is by realizing what I have. Not for one second do I take what I have for granted. I realize that there are people out there who struggle to get a drink of water when for me I can go into the kitchen and drink it as much and as often as I want. There are kids who sleep outside in cold on the dirt because they don't have a roof over their head. I on the other hand not only have a roof but my own room with a comfy bed.

Gratitude, a feeling of appreciation or thanks. One day I was going to the mall with my cousin and she was driving. In a span of less than 15 minutes she complained so many times that it was hard to keep track. It's too cold outside, the stupid light needs to change already, omg can this guy drive any slower, there are no close parking spots open, this mall is so crowded. Why complain about things you can't control and with things you can control change it. You can't change the weather, but you can change the way you dress. If the car in front of you is driving too slow then change lanes. Being grateful and counting your blessings can increase your happiness levels significantly. I'm not saying become completely optimistic because although the glass may be half full it is also half empty. Stop focusing on the negative and acknowledge the good things that are in your life.

If this past year has taught us anything it is that life is short. You're not guaranteed a tomorrow so why waste today being sad and angry over things that don't matter. Appreciate the little things in life.

I challenge you to pick a day and start counting the number of times you complain, criticize, or gossip about something. I promise you that number will shock you.

"To say we feel grateful is not to say that everything in our lives is necessarily great. It just means we are aware of our blessings.”- Dr. Robert Emmons


1 comment:

  1. Wow that was really deep. This is zerrie101 from wattpad i seen your post and thought this was a really cool abd realistic post. I loved it, but on the mean time i do get where you are coming from, it is really how life is people take life for granted and they do not realize what they have or there blessings until they are just about ready to lose them. Excellent post looking foward to hearing what you have to write about next.

    ReplyDelete